Full Metal Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full Metal Wrestling

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FMW OOC Thread

Go down 
+58
Jaro Classic
Cactus Sam
The Natural Born Thriller
CarnageKing
Easy
Devilb0y
Vendetta
Shock
Braxton
Antonio_G
Skyler Striker
John Andrews
ASL
Storm183
Runihura
Loins
PBrooks
Wearedoomed
smonroe
Seanawott
John Derrick
The Jackal
Ryu Quinn
Pissant
Ripper
Ashburn
Damien
Drew Michaels
TyranT
Abel Steele
The Returned
Easty
Bobino
MASS Caesar
X
David GS
the nick bryson
Artemis
Drake Parker
The Dude
MPD
Leon Caprice
Hannibal Frost
Leviticastform
iDeAndes
cYnical
RCA
PX
Rottata
Nicholas Gray
The Celt
Jeff
Omega
Mark Johansson
Slegna
Anwyl
Tromboner Man
Edible14
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
cYnical

Rep : 0

FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Edible14 wrote:
I want to echo this, though. If you show up in this fed on a consistent basis... you will be rewarded. Me and Bryson do everything we can to make sure of that.

Yeah. The last thing you guys need is some asshole who only pops up for a match every once in a while...

Oh, hi guys!
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Rep : 15

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Christian G. Smitten
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 am

Someone mentioned people asking to sign up for LPW, and making it easier when "IT" happens. I said something very similar to what I'm about to say at LPW.

Regardless of what people say, LPW and FMW have a pretty good e-relationship. We are both open about you competing in the other and vice versa. You can sign up to LPW at any time, just like LPW people can sign up for FMW at any time. You don't need to wait for "IT" for that to happen, whatever your interpretation of "IT" is.

LPW is a lot like FMW in a number of ways. It was originally the model for FMW, with FMW being a spin off from LPW, and since then, both feds have taken a lot from each other, and developed in different directions at the same time.

IF you do sign up for LPW though, I encourage you to consider the following. I say these things not because you need to, but being someone who's been in both LPW and FMW since day one of FMW, this is a bit of what I picked up in my experience.

- Don't use the same character you use in FMW. It helps avoid burn out and keeps you more motivated.
-Only work for one of the staffs. Whether that's LPW or FMW, it doesn't matter. Only working on one staff helps manage your time better and gives you much more enjoyment out of your e-fedding time.
- For the love of God, don't be a headwriter at both FMW and LPW at the same time. This is e-fedding suicide, and both Drew Michaels and Romeo can back me up on that one.

I guess you can carbon copy those guidelines and apply them to any fed you decide to join. But, that's beside the point. If you sign up for LPW, we won't turn you away because you're competing/have competed in FMW. Likewise, FMW won't turn you away because you're competing/ have competed in LPW. It's a very open policy between both feds.

On the issue though of "is FMW dying?", I have some strong opinions, being one of the few people who have been here since September 26, 2006 (For you people who don't know that date, that's FMW's Birthday). I have seen a lot of things happen and change over that time. What we're seeing now is something I haven't seen before. However, if you're worried if the fed is dying, perhaps those who are worried can do something about it.

Sign up for staff, volunteer to chase up people who haven't voted/promoed. Start a game on the forum. Or, just post your god damn promos without an extension.

Guys, FMW looks like it's dying because of that. Extension after extension after extension. Meet the deadlines, and believe it or not, the fed will become more competitive, the fed will become more active, and the fed will become more fun.

Guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/trombonerman
Drake Parker
FMW Television Champion
FMW Television Champion

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Drake Parker
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

I <3 you sometimes, Ben. This is one of those times.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Gray
FMW World Tag Team Champion
Nicholas Gray

Rep : 19

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Nicholas Gray
Championship: FMW Tag Team Championship

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:06 am

Tromboner Man wrote:

This. This. THIS. THIS THIS THIS TIMES A MILLION BILLION THIS!

THIS.

ALL OF MY THIS.
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Rep : 4

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Hannibal Frost
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 6:06 am

While "ALL OF MY THIS" is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time, I think some of your THIS should be applied towards the newer folks in a different way.

I forget whether or not this has been done before, but since we're on the tracks of something Ben has "never seen before", I think this might be a good idea: why don't we open up a suggestions thread and make it a major priority?

I agree that the fed isn't dying in the least, but maybe we should start asking how it would be best to liven it up. Maybe some of the newer guys have seen things in other feds that would fit in nicely here. Or maybe they have ideas of their own.

Shit. I dunno.

This coulda' been done and I coulda' missed it.

Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
X

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 am

Tromboner Man wrote:
Guys, FMW looks like it's dying because of that. Extension after extension after extension.

You can say that again.

Not gonna lie, I never pay attention to the deadlines because I always know there will be an extension. Or only 2 promos posted.
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 10:48 am

Forget opening a suggestion thread. The biggest thing that I have never seen before in FMW (or e-fedding) is the blatant disrespect for deadlines and punctuality. Every other problem in FMW today, is a derivative of that. Believe me when I say stop extending the deadlines, and things will tighten up.

Since in a booker at LPW (and have been here, before people claim bias) I'm speaking from experience when I say if you leave the deadlines alone, promos will come. Sure, it might look shaky for the first show or two, but people will get the idea. Hell, at LPW, I've given out my FIRST promo extension there, and I've been headbooker for close to 18 months. For the record, I extended the deadlines because I had voting and promo ending on Christmas Eve, and I came to my senses, realising that it might not have been fair.

Have there been moments where I've gone "Should I extend the deadlines?", you bet your ass there have. Esspecially early on. Now, we're getting a 90-95% attendance rate. That's an average, there's a lot of shows which compete at a 100% attendance. This past show being one of many examples. In fact, it's become a rarity to see more than one no-show on a card booking 20 people.

If the people in charge are continually extending deadlines, then the people who compete come to expect them. Not just in promos, but staff become lazier in handing in their ratings, and their assignments.

And to me? That screams that people are undercutting your authority. Yes, Nick, Edible, I'm pretty much saying that your authority isn't being respected. You give extensions every show, I can't remember the last show that didn't have one. Staff become lazier, and more laxidazial

HELL, you're undercutting your own authority as well. I know you're busy, but there should be no excuse for an assignments thread being posted after the show's V+P has ended. Not started, ended. Staff then take their time chosing assignments, making it a scramble to get assignments assigned, and then, on top of that, people are rushing to turn around and get assignments in on time, which rarely happens.

And, on that note, perhaps you need to pull a hard line, and actually assign matches, instead of saying "Pick em". Be the hard task master, say "You are doing this, it will be sent here by this date, and it will correct first time". It's not hard to be the expectant, leading boss, while being approachable, relaxed, and bottom line, a good person.

TL;DR?

-Enforce deadlines on all levels of the fed, from voting and promo for the new guy right up to posting a show for the booker, and everywhere inbetween.
-Be proactive in posting assignments, and make sure assignments are assigned.

Two very simple, easy things to bring in and change.

A. People will become more motivated, because all of a sudden, a deadline means something
B. It brings back the fear of the no-show, which was once regarded in FMW as the ultimate insult to your fellow competitors
C. It will improve participation.
D. It will make the fed more fun.
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Rep : 6

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Apostasy
Championship: Abandoned Championship

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeesh... is this going to be another "let's bitch about FMW" session again?

Alright, I don't want to name names here but again I think I had some solid reasons for extending the deadline this time around. I talked with Bryson, but ultimately it was my call. And here's why I did it:

Throughout Friday, I hit up as many people on AIM as I could, and tried to get in contact with some people via facebook as well. I had three different people tell me that they wouldn't be able to make the deadline by that night, and that they wouldn't be able to get to a computer until slightly after (two of them were working, I forget what the third person's excuse was). These three people were all people I wanted to show, because the show is ultimately better with just a little more participation.

Of those three... only one of them actually used the extension to post a promo. We had two people post a promo after the extension (Anwyl and Abel).

Let me say this... this Ammunition is unquestionably better now that Anwyl and Abel showed up. Those guys are in the midst of pushes because they have been entirely solid and consistent about showing up in the past. I have no problem with them, and I'm really super glad to see them on this show, because it means that even if they lose, we can justify continuing to push them. Which is nice. Huzzah and all that.

However, I'm entirely disappointed in the two people I spoke with who said that they could put out something... and never did. I'm not happy with the fact that two people are getting a Full Metal Championship shot because they got more votes on qualifying matches where nobody showed. I'm not happy with any of that. I also am not of the opinion that being hardasses with the deadlines, or bringing back late penalties will solve that. If you think that no extensions will fix everything in FMW... then I have a bridge to sell you.

Smitten, you know I respect you and that I'm usually on your side. But that's fucking horseshit, what you just posted. We try to make this a fun experience for everyone here, something that you yourself should know about very intimately from the last show. I go out of my damn way to make sure that everyone here gets treated fairly and doesn't feel left out or slighted. If you want to call me out on extending the deadline for a day, you can do so. Don't try to trash me and Bryson as a staff. And don't say it would make things more fun to be hardasses. Because that's not true. No-show matches aren't fun, and it does make people feel shitty when I go out of my way to talk to them online, they tell me their honest stories on why they haven't shown and why they won't be able to until X time, and then I say "well... tough luck". That's not fun for anyone.

As for putting up the assignments thread yesterday... yeah... I thought that was fine. Because I don't have scores in and it's STILL going to be a day or so until I get them. That's still plenty of time for staff members to call out assignments. I'm also fine with people taking matches that they want to write, under the theory that it will be more fun for them AND it will end up being better because people tend to take matches that they have ideas for. Furthermore, if you have a problem with me running things the way I do in the staff forums... perhaps a better avenue to suggest that would be in the staff threads, instead of making it public so that you can trash me and Bryson. I think I've pretty much demonstrated that I'm a flexible guy, and someone who listens to people's opinions on things. There is no fucking need to bring that up out here when you've never said a word to me about it before.

As for deadlines and punctuality... I think you're all forgetting that me and Bryson have actually been doing a lot to clean that up. I gave my staff a week and a half to turn out the 15.1 show after scores were in... and they did it. Before I took over as head writer, we were doing roughly a show every 5-6 weeks. Right now, we're doing a show a month like clockwork. I don't know if you remember this, but back in the first half of this year, this fed was SLOOOOOOWWWWW. The way we have it scheduled right now is 1 week for V&P, 2 weeks to turn out the show, and 1 week to let people read the show. I feel that's a pretty good pace for the small staff that we have. And even when certain things run long, we keep to the schedule by taking time out of either the week to read or the two weeks to get the show out, as we did last show by having it turned out in a week and a half. If you'd like that to be faster, I understand that. Truth be told I'd like that too, but I have a hard time demanding that of the small staff that I have (who, by the way, also are characters here and write promos as well as matches).

In any case, I don't think that extending the deadline by a day or two actually postpones the show any, because as we saw with last show, we can still hold the staff to the more demanding deadlines that are created. So again, the deadlines are extended sometimes out of sympathy and trying to make the show better. I understand that you think that the place would be better if we were hardasses, but I just don't agree. It wouldn't get the shows out any faster, and it would alienate a lot of people.

Oh, and I might as well throw this out - I've heard a few people bitch that they've grown to "expect" the extension. If you want to play that game, that's your choice. Don't be mad when the extension doesn't come (as it didn't at DR4, only two shows ago). Extensions are handed out on a case by case when we think the show is lacking in participants and we have good reason to believe that participation would increase significantly with one. This time around, I thought that since the extension came on a Saturday and that 3 people had directly told me that they would show if given one... that this show was a good extension candidate.
Back to top Go down
X

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Hannibal Frost wrote:
I think this might be a good idea: why don't we open up a suggestions thread and make it a major priority?

Because...

Edible14 wrote:

If no one can voice their opinion because it would be considered bitching then a suggestions thread would be useless. Why do people take opinions so harshly around here? I see that hasn't changed since I last was around. LOL.

Meh, I'll just plead ignorance and move on.
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 pm

X wrote:
Hannibal Frost wrote:
I think this might be a good idea: why don't we open up a suggestions thread and make it a major priority?

Because...

Edible14 wrote:

If no one can voice their opinion because it would be considered bitching then a suggestions thread would be useless. Why do people take opinions so harshly around here? I see that hasn't changed since I last was around. LOL.

As I said, I'm open to criticism and suggestions. I honestly don't mind Frost's idea at all, I just don't have much initiative for it myself. I'll say this, I have no problem with that idea and if that's something you want to start up... great. Let's do that. I can't offer much help on it, unfortunately. I'd like to hear how much the forum as a whole is up for that. One of the things I talk about with Bryson all the time is getting people involved in the downtime between shows, and that would be an interesting way to tackle the problem.

And that statement was more directed towards Smitten, because the structure of his post seemed a lot like an attack on FMW staff in general, and did in fact sound a lot like just him venting a lot of frustration about various things. Perhaps not the best choice of words, but that was honestly my impression when reading his post. The things in that post by Smitten that inspired the harsher words I gave were mostly to do with the Staff forum stuff being aired out here. I don't think that's appropriate, especially since Smitten has never brought those complaints to my attention before, nor has anyone else on staff.

I'm not trying to shut anyone down here, and if that's the impression I'm giving I apologize.

I understand that a select group of people want the deadlines to be more harshly enforced. You, Smitten and Leon are amongst them (I think Austin as well?). All that I'm trying to point out with my post is that there's a good argument for the other side of that debate, and that it's not cut and dry. So, above I posted why I made the call to go with a one-day extension. If anyone has anything to say on it, absolutely feel free to respond. I'm willing to talk about that. I don't know if I can make that more clear.
Back to top Go down
Drake Parker
FMW Television Champion
FMW Television Champion

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Drake Parker
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:00 pm

X wrote:

That's what I always do. It works pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Well fuck.... thanks firefox for deleting my post... had a whole thing typed up then the browser crashes, losing everything.

Edible, you know I will come to you if I have a problem. I'm not going to put something that's selling someone out in public. That's unfair.

But, it's been asked how we can improve FMW, and I've voiced my opinion. I got a unique one, because I'm one of the few who know what the pressures and demands are on a head writer. I've been there, done that. These suggestions, they're things that have made my life, and my job, easier. It's aided the staff, and encouraged participation, the latter being the most important.

Should I have brought up staff related grievances in the OOC thread? Perhaps not, but it's not the first time I've raised that issue. for the past 2-3 years, assignments have been getting posted later and later and later. I raised the issue a number of times during that initial 18 month period, but eventually, I just accepted I was fighting a losing battle. I'm raising it again now because I do think it's a key area which can be addressed. Try it for the next show or two. Trust me, if you put it up before the V+P goes up, I think you'll get a much more actve responce from the staff. They will be seeing spoilers, they'll know what their matches are earlier, so they'll get a reward for putting in the hard yards in getting an extra day or two at their promo. This reward, it will encourage other people to step up and join staff. To me, it just makes sense, there's tons of upside to it. What's the worst that can happen?

As for people bitching about expecting deadlines, well, don't give it to them. Even if it costs the fed for a show with a limited amount of promos for a show, people will get the message. Deadlines are deadlines. Let's be honest, the 8 day deadline for Voting and Promo that Bryson and you set. That's more than reasonable, and you should expect a high attendance off that alone. But if people get the clear and concise message that deadlines are there, they'll meet them. Even if you post at Voting being opened "There will be no deadline", the naysayers might get their act together. I say might, because they could still expect deadlines. But that's alright, let them dig their own grave. There's others out there that would like the shiny push that they're getting, if you catch my drift.

I dunno, maybe this isn't a debate I should be into. Maybe the retired old farts of FMW like me should stay out of this. Maybe people like me should leave this to the next generation of FMW, and instead of trying to retain what we remember of FMW, we let them forge it and make it into their new vision.

For the record, I'm not angry, I'm just opinionated at the moment. I might be on my e-period. A very long e-period. Incase you think this is spiteful, or if you're angry with what I've said,

FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 667fd34031714e28fa87b474b221e35b
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Tromboner Man wrote:
Should I have brought up staff related grievances in the OOC thread? Perhaps not, but it's not the first time I've raised that issue. for the past 2-3 years, assignments have been getting posted later and later and later. I raised the issue a number of times during that initial 18 month period, but eventually, I just accepted I was fighting a losing battle. I'm raising it again now because I do think it's a key area which can be addressed. Try it for the next show or two. Trust me, if you put it up before the V+P goes up, I think you'll get a much more actve responce from the staff. They will be seeing spoilers, they'll know what their matches are earlier, so they'll get a reward for putting in the hard yards in getting an extra day or two at their promo. This reward, it will encourage other people to step up and join staff. To me, it just makes sense, there's tons of upside to it. What's the worst that can happen?

I don't... really much care when the staff thread goes up. I know that it really can't be put up before the V&P thread is up by too much because we're still working to finalize those cards up until they're up. The reason being is that occasionally somebody gets to either me or Bryson and says they can't make it this show, and we do our best to accommodate that. So, cards are at least somewhat flexible. I can tell you right now that .3's cards are up in the head office, and they aren't finalized at all. In addition, the way that shows work around here (especially this last cycle), one little change can affect everything. I think I argued with Bryson for a solid 2 days about how 15.1 Ammunition would work... and that was the weekend it was posted. I think I re-wrote just about every segment of that show somewhat, and I had to re-write Austin's match because I gave Austin a spoiler about the tournament which it turned out (after rewrites), that wouldn't make sense to be there.

Quote :
But, it's been asked how we can improve FMW, and I've voiced my opinion. I got a unique one, because I'm one of the few who know what the pressures and demands are on a head writer. I've been there, done that. These suggestions, they're things that have made my life, and my job, easier. It's aided the staff, and encouraged participation, the latter being the most important.

Again, I understand the want and need to want to suggest improvements. I wrote a big old scribe up there describing why I gave this extension. I don't really have much more to say on the subject. But, for those who don't want to read it, bullet points:

1) It's done out of kindness and sympathy for people we talk to on AIM/fb/meebo/pm/wherever
2) It doesn't slow the output of the show, since we specifically build in a 2 week turnaround period for the show as-is, and the day or two that an extension uses up is just taken away from the staff, who have shown the ability to handle that
3) It's not done every show, as has been claimed (again, DR4 had no extensions). It's a case-by-case thing
4) It's only done when we have good reason to expect increased turnout, i.e, we've talked to a few people who say they need the extension
5) It makes the show better, even if only a handful of extra people show

I'm frustrated with the lack of turnout, hence the angry FUCKING POST SOMETHING rant from a page ago. I am simply unconvinced that never giving extensions will actually help that.
Back to top Go down
RCA
Full Metal Champion
Full Metal Champion

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Chris Austin
Championship: FMW C-4 Champion, FMW World Tag Team Champion

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 4:52 pm

Edible14 wrote:

I understand that a select group of people want the deadlines to be more harshly enforced. You, Smitten and Leon are amongst them (I think Austin as well?).

Yes, I wish deadlines were harshly enforced.
Back to top Go down
Jeff
FMW Corruption Ultraviolent Champion
FMW Corruption Ultraviolent Champion
Jeff

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: "Truly Talented" Jeff Whitt
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Yell yell loud noises scream rant pout.

Carry on.
Back to top Go down
http://themanthatshouldnotbe.tumblr.com
Leviticastform
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Leviticastform

Rep : 3

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Leviticus
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 7:31 pm

*Raises hand*

Pick me! Pick me!

In all seriousness (as I told Chris Austin) I don't think the issue is so much the extensions. I think the real issue lies in those who constantly need them.

Granted I understand and appreciate what Edible and Nick are doing, truth be told it has helped me in the past. Real life can, will, and should always take priority over this GAME. In that real life things will happen that keep us from showing within the allotted time frame. It does suck to have to try to put together a promo in an extremely rough time. It sucks to lose face or steam because a real life event made it where you couldn't promo. I am sure we can all agree here.

Now the issue I see is those people who always seem to need that extension. If something that big is going on in your life let staff know, they are pretty flexible like that. If you need it for several shows say something, again staff will work with you. If you are just screwing around until the last minute... STOP!

Abusing the extensions given to us by the staff (which they don't have to give us by the way) is hurting the fed and everyone's good time. Not only that but in a way it is penalizing those who need them for good reasons.

It think this could be an issue, but that is just me talking. Anyways, let's do something crazy like getting back to having fun.
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 8:02 pm

RCA wrote:

Noted.

Anyhow... to make sure that this doesn't end up buried in this discussion...

Quote :
I forget whether or not this has been done before, but since we're on the tracks of something Ben has "never seen before", I think this might be a good idea: why don't we open up a suggestions thread and make it a major priority?

I'm interested in doing this. What I would suggest is this:

-We make a sub-forum to the backstage area labeled "Suggestions & Ideas"
-Only viewable to members: I don't think prospective members should see us bitching and debating, I don't think that's very attractive and I think it makes us look bad.
-There would have to be some rules of etiquette. To encourage open and honest responses, there is to be as little negativity as possible. So instead of "no, we can't do that"... we instead say it as "Well... that's interesting but I don't see how it works given ___".
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:01 am

Yay! I have a supporter!

I really like the outline up there. I hate to be a negative nancy, but the only way to really improve FMW(and no one bitch about my use of the word improve, please) at this point is to gather the thoughts and ideas of the active collective while it's relatively small in size.

Really, honestly, truthfully... we need people to actually start caring (read: giving a shit) again. It's really hard to do that in today's world. Shit SUCKS nowadays and it ain't gettin' any better. I know that. Everyone else knows it too. Maybe others will be slower to admit it, but everyone still feels it.

Am I the only one who thinks we have something special here? All e-fedders do. We have a little community, a family here, that we can turn to. When the world starts sucking a giant bag of dicks, where can we go hide for a few hours until the shit storm passes?

Don't be a hero. Shit Storms can kill.

But seriously, and this is to myself included, people just need to care again. Might sound like a bathroom full uh' prissy pre-teens preachin' Twilight, but I'd like to think its the truth.

Emotion is infectious, mother fuckers.

... So how bout' that suggestions thread?
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Rep : -3

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Leon Caprice
Championship: FMW Undisputed Tag Team Champions

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 pm

RCA wrote:
Edible14 wrote:

I understand that a select group of people want the deadlines to be more harshly enforced. You, Smitten and Leon are amongst them (I think Austin as well?).

Now i guess I seemed to jump into this debate with my latest votes, but it isn't just to pick a side.

The best days of FMW for me were when I was starting out in FMW, where you literally had to fight your way through people's amazing writing to get noticed. But with strict deadlines and people appreciating on-time promoer it gave us as rookies a great platform to build off of.

Now evidently this has changed, now it isn't for my opinion to deem if it's for better or for worse, but I don't agree with the fact that only "key" people will be asked for an extension or if storyline purposes play a part in extensions. At the end of the day, you can't push a dead cow, so if someone doesn't show in time, then it's not up to the HW's to extend for them, nor go out of their way to make it peachy for a no-shower if they can't commit as well as maybe a newer face to FMW. Pick the fastest horse, not the one with the biggest name.

Now RL is always an issue in FMW, heck I can put most of 2011 into a RL ditch, but even though I had shit going on, I still love FMW and commit to it. And to this day I have never no-showed a promo. Because I see value in every part of this community and I think that is a valeud shared by soo many in FMW.

But the entire issue for me isn't just extension, and it isn't just the topic of blind voting (Read: a few months ago), it's the sense that times have changed, and what use to be a highly competitve, always feedbacking, big names roster, has now changed it style. Moving to a social networking, chance giving, fun-loving younger fed. And one part is definately the lower age level of writers, but also just that FMW use to be run by hard-asses and for the people that were around 3+ years ago it worked really well, but to say that we should adapt that template and apply it today would kill the forum, but that isn't to say both had their strengths.

Anyway, between my rambling thoughts I just want the point to be that something new needs to be done. For awhile when I was in charge i lowered the power of votes from .1 to .05 and I found it brought back alot of the competitiveness of old. But if we are now in a point where social groups can be greater than a great promo or people are winning matches by no-showing, then to me thats a couple of red flags.
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Leon Caprice wrote:
evidently this has changed, now it isn't for my opinion to deem if it's for better or for worse, but I don't agree with the fact that only "key" people will be asked for an extension or if storyline purposes play a part in extensions. At the end of the day, you can't push a dead cow, so if someone doesn't show in time, then it's not up to the HW's to extend for them, nor go out of their way to make it peachy for a no-shower if they can't commit as well as maybe a newer face to FMW. Pick the fastest horse, not the one with the biggest name.

I just want to note that this is not what I'm talking about when I said I asked people if they could show. There's no favoritism with that. Even for matches like Butters/Ryder vs YNG... I felt that a little extra promoing makes those matches better. Because if one tag team doesn't even show... then we basically have to do a squash match or some sort of shenanigans. Which, to be completely honest, gets old around here. I don't just ask the Harlequins and Docs of the world to show, I ask anyone I can get in contact with that hasn't shown. Every little bit of participation helps the shows, in my opinion.

And we do push the "fastest horse". As I said before, we make an effort to push anyone who shows up consistently. That's why you might have noticed that MarkJo, Ashburn, Anwyl, Abel and Jonathan King have gotten some nice pushes. That's why you might note that you yourself have been in the biggest angle in FMW over the last couple of cycles, and are being given a chance to win the FMC. You'll notice that the people we put in the FMCT were all people who had shown the previous shows... even if some of them didn't show this time (which, again, I'm very disappointed with).

Leon Caprice wrote:

But the entire issue for me isn't just extension, and it isn't just the topic of blind voting (Read: a few months ago), it's the sense that times have changed, and what use to be a highly competitve, always feedbacking, big names roster, has now changed it style. Moving to a social networking, chance giving, fun-loving younger fed. And one part is definately the lower age level of writers, but also just that FMW use to be run by hard-asses and for the people that were around 3+ years ago it worked really well, but to say that we should adapt that template and apply it today would kill the forum, but that isn't to say both had their strengths.

Anyway, between my rambling thoughts I just want the point to be that something new needs to be done. For awhile when I was in charge i lowered the power of votes from .1 to .05 and I found it brought back alot of the competitiveness of old. But if we are now in a point where social groups can be greater than a great promo or people are winning matches by no-showing, then to me thats a couple of red flags.

First off, I really don't want to get into deconstructing how people vote around here. Everyone votes differently, and I don't really think it's a problem. If you compete here, you ought to know that people vote for different reasons and you shouldn't take it personally. Then again, I'm not somebody who really has a problem with losing a match, and I know that some others take offense when they feel their best work isn't being appreciated.

As for the .1 to .05 change... that was reversed mostly because I want some consistency between brands. That was a change you made without any consultation with the other head writer (Bryson), and to be honest it's odd to have votes mean different things on different brands. I'm of the opinion that votes ought to matter, so I'm disinclined to agree with that idea of yours. I think it entirely devalues that system and makes it so that there's no effective "check" on the power of the promo raters. I don't want it to be the case that only 4 or 5 guys determine the outcome of every single match by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm

When it comes to no-shows... I honestly think the newer guys are taking lead from the vets.

Maybe not all of them, but if you notice, alot are returning only to no show and others are winding down their activity. Myself included here.

But I'm back for the long haul.

Leon is absolutely right that FMW has changed into a more laid back environment, and honestly, that works. Unfortunately, it does need to be infused with at least a degree of competitiveness.

The solution for all that above does lie directly with getting people to show. I concede to Ben on that one, after some thinking. Maybe we need new incentives, or new punishments, as unfun as that word sounds.

Or maybe we need a couple of cards where we only book those who have a good record of showing. That's an incentishment. Sounds like a fetish, but its really... well, it could actually be a fetish. Incentive to some, punishment to others.

Really, everyone needs to pull together to liven this place up for at least a full half cycle. I'm talkin' activity constantly on these boards for at least two shows. We get probably two or three sign ups during that amount of time, or at least people who make an account. Now imagine them walking in on a raging ass party with the cocaine and hookers of yore, rather than a handful of people lounging around listening to Phish albums.

Oh yeah. Sounds puuuurty.
Back to top Go down
the nick bryson
Head Writer
Head Writer

Rep : 12

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:24 pm

Hello,

So long story short on my end, the company took my money but they still havent reactivated my service yet because I dont know.

Anyway, Im here at an internet source and I'm just going to throw things out there:

Quite frankly, when it comes to deadline extentions, its ok by me. As has been stated before, I understand completely how much real life comes into place and peoples situations. Many many many people have come up to me and told me about their issues and how they appreciate us being fairly accomodating with extentions. I understand some people have their opinions on them, but at the same time if youre the type of person who gets in before the deadline then good for you. I hope that you can keep that up, but if one of you should ever need to have an extra day, I dont want to be the asshole that says 'sorry, you're not allowed to have fun this show, better luck next one.'

While I get its a slippery slope and a tight rope and a thin line and whatever metaphor you want to use, its just the stance I've chosen. If there is obvious discussion that the majority want this to change, then by all means we can switch that up too.

I dont feel that doing this undermines me or edibles authority. Other things, maybe, but I dont think this deadline thing does.

To the Jackal: You showed a lot of early enthusiasm and clearly you're a guy with a lot of potential. I've said that you privately and I'll gladly say it publicly too. I'm more than happy to give kudos to a person I feel can make a big splash. I dont think people realize how much new blood is in FMW right now, and honestly writing up the year end awards we had like 9-10 different rookies to choose from this year, where as last year we struggled to find five or six. I think that the people like Smith, Levy, and even X's new direction (which is amazing and I will count as a rookie for 12) have a lot of potential to carve whatever they want out of the fed.

If I would have told you the main event scene at the end of the year at the beginning of 2011 or the end of 2010 I would have been laughed at and its probably honest. However, guys like Anwyl, Nick Gray, Abel Steele, and many many more have made drastic improvements and are honestly legitimate competitors. I would argue that some of the guys now are better than some of the greats we've had in the past and there is a lot of opportunity now for basically anyone to step up and really make a name for themselves.

If people are honestly looking at the fed and worrying about its 'demise', which is always the case, all I have to say is that last year we came close to my goal of 24 shows a year, even with a rough transition from head staffs. We produced shows from 12.3 at the beginning of the year to having the shows for 15.1 up and the cards for 15.2 up at the end of the year, almost 3 whole cycles that included Death Row, Ultimatum III, Mt. Vesuvius, and No Holds Barred. Death Row had everyone except 3 or 4 people show up and the live chat we did had about 20 people in it. The TT for the thread almost hit 100 responses even with the live chat too.

Understand that what we're doing now is honestly some of our best stuff, and the people here have lots of opportunities. That has really been our goal, to try and shake things up a lot and see where the dust settles.
Back to top Go down
John Andrews

John Andrews

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: John Andrews
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 am

I know I am still considered new here and have only really actually talked to Nick or Leon on AIM but I am on the fence for the deadline enforcement idea because well life happens. Here's my issue... If someone who gets their promo in on time, well before the deadline and the other fella finally submits a bomb shell promo AFTER an extension which kind of totally changes the ball game and the guy with the extension wins. I know life isn't fair but there should at least be some sort of penalty or consideration since the promo was turned in late. Kind of like an in match disqualification or something along those lines. Here's the other thing though, say the person whom is requesting an extension is really busy with work or school and has zero time what so ever to post anything or drop in to give a shout? I mean in my mind it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

I don't think this site is dying, I think quite honestly it is like any other type of site in this genre as with real life wrestling you are going to indeed have your slow periods and your hectic periods. The solution is creativity, word of mouth, and the want to keep the site active and around. The story lines are endless for a site such as this, it is like a script that never ends. I would volunteer for a staff position or even as a writer position but I honestly feel I haven't fully understood the nature of FMW and what I mean by that is the characters, etc. I would very much hate to volunteer for something and then end up giving someone injustice by not writing a match or interview the way their character would perform ya know?

As i've said I am still new and haven't fully navigated my way around so forgive me by suggesting this but have you all considered a merger or invasion between the two federations FMW and LPW? In my opinion if it is the same people from both feds it basically is already the same fed just with different names. Plus this hurts production for the site if someone is giving more to one site than the other. With that said I will now disappear back into the shadows as the new guy
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Gray
Nicholas Gray

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 am

>PENALITIES
OH FUCK HE'S UNLEASHED THAT BEAST, EVERYONE GET TO THE BOMB SHELTER
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 6:07 am

Gonna' take you riigghht in to tha' danga' zooone.
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Rep : -3

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Leon Caprice
Championship: FMW Undisputed Tag Team Champions

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 am

iPhone is pissing me off, third time at this. Basically continuing oja's point with saying that skyler had it too against anwyl. Now although it helps the guy who posts after the extension it kills the man who rushes a promo in and expects the deadline to close so not to keep writing or extending his promo

So I give two ideas 1) make the promoing time one day longer on the original post or at least have a 24hrs cut off to the deadline where extensions cannot be given.

2) disallow any votes given to people before they promo. It's tough but this popularity vs. writing needs to be resolved. Nothing more disgusting in my eyes when a match is consisting of no-showers who get decided by votes. We all came here to write, not to vote.

At the end of the day, I just like fair play.
Back to top Go down
Nicholas Gray
Nicholas Gray

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:30 am

Controlling how people vote goes against the point of being able to vote.
Back to top Go down
Edible14
Head Writer
Head Writer
Edible14

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Leon Caprice wrote:
1) make the promoing time one day longer on the original post or at least have a 24hrs cut off to the deadline where extensions cannot be given.

We've changed up the lengths of time V&P has opened here and there, and I haven't noticed it helping. I think, as a rule of thumb, we should probably always close on Saturday or Sunday, so that you procrastinators have a day off work/school to do your late work, and so that people are more likely to have time to get a computer and vote during the voting period. I would be perfectly fine with "only 24 hour extensions, ever", I think.

Leon Caprice wrote:
2) disallow any votes given to people before they promo. It's tough but this popularity vs. writing needs to be resolved. Nothing more disgusting in my eyes when a match is consisting of no-showers who get decided by votes. We all came here to write, not to vote.

No

It's been said before, but voting DOES NOT HAVE TO BE about voting for who has the best promo. It can be any number of things. It can be for storyline reasons (Quite often, I vote for storyline reasons). It can be simply "I know this person pretty well, and I just cannot vote against him as a friend", as is often the case with stables and people who have been together for awhile. Again, I consider the role of voting here to be very important, and I really don't want to do anything to diminish it or control it.

Quote :
As i've said I am still new and haven't fully navigated my way around so forgive me by suggesting this but have you all considered a merger or invasion between the two federations FMW and LPW?

It's been suggested, and it's wildly unpopular here. And there's good reason. First... some people like being able to run multiple characters (I did back in the days of two Edibles). Second... some of us don't like LPW as a site. It's ugly, script-ridden, slow, and frequently ends up deleted entirely (five times by my count, and I haven't even been checking the last few years). Third, a lot of work has gone into establishing FMW as its own identity, and to be frank all of that would be undone with a merger. I'm quite attached to the history and lore of this place, and that's ultimately something that would be lost completely in a merger. Fourth... some people here don't have fond memories over there, or have some reservations about certain people over there.
Back to top Go down
John Andrews

John Andrews

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: John Andrews
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:17 pm

I agree with the voting being allowed to be unlimited, because as Edible suggested you can be bias based on the story line or feud that is going on or if a member of your tag team or stable is in the match. Plus the vote is really supposed to be more of an opinion, although it sucks if someone is more popular than the other I think in the end it balances itself out.
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:31 pm

I agree that voting should lie with whatever strategy the voter wants to go with, but I see no problem with there having to be a PROMO for it to get voted for.

Getting voted for is a privilege, and I think it should be earned by at least some form of a promo.

Not controlling the votes themselves, but maybe not opening up the ability to vote for that wrestler until he/she promos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMW OOC Thread   FMW OOC Thread - Page 17 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FMW OOC Thread
Page 17 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 24 ... 31  Next