Full Metal Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full Metal Wrestling

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!

Go down 
+27
Cactus Sam
Nicholas Gray
Leviticastform
X
Jeff
Drew Michaels
The Celt
Omega
PX
the nick bryson
Easy
Storm183
Edible14
The Dude
Abel Steele
Slegna
RCA
Vincent Van Rose
MPD
Tromboner Man
Rottata
Alex O'Rion
Anwyl
Hannibal Frost
Lazyking
Bobino
Leon Caprice
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Leon Caprice

Rep : -3

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Leon Caprice
Championship: FMW Undisputed Tag Team Champions

FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! Empty
PostSubject: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 11:01 am

Its time again folks for the next FMW Debate!! Anyone can jump in whenever they want, its an open debate so let your opinion be heard and let it be grand.

To explain it:
Quite simply I will post the first debate topic and it will run for 1-3 days depending on the quick resolution of it or absolute answer from one debator. When the necessary time has passed a decision will be made by myself as to who won the debate in an unbiased manner with reasoning.

This will repeat until the 10th topic has been decided.

From then all topic winnings will be tallied and we will have our winner of Debate Cinco.

The prize of winning Debate Cinco is TBA, but our HW is scheming a prize. And no, you will not be fired afterwards

Now a last bit of house-keeping:
- Please if you have any questions about this, label it "OOC:" in this thread.
- Any debators caught to be coluding with each other and rigging the debates will be DQ'd from the entire competition.
- No double posts.

Final Scoreboard:
1. Hannibal Frost 46.5 (7.5+6.5+6+7+7+2.5+1+2+0+7)
2. Abel 44 (0+7.5+6+5+5+6.5+0+0+0+8.)
3. AVO 39.5 (4+6+4+6+5.5+4+1+1+2+6)
4. TBM 38 (5+6.5+7+8+6.5+0+0+0+5+0)
5. ? 34.5 (5.5+3+0+0+5+0+6+3+7+5)
6. RCA 31.5 (0+6.5+0+7+0+7.5+5+0+0+5.5)
7. Master Red 25 (5.5+3.5+0+0+0+4+1+2+4+5)
8. Alex O'Rion 21.5 (7+2.5+3+0+0.5+4.5+4+0+0+0)
9. Bryson 20.5 (0+7.5+0+7+0+5+1+0+0+0)
10. Lazyking 19 (5+3.5+0+4.5+5+1+0+0+0+0)
11. PX 16.5 (0+8+0+0+3.5+5+0+0+0+0
12. Jeff Poliwhitt 16.5 (0+0+4+0+3+5.5+0+0+0+4)
13. Easty 16 (0+0+0+0+0+4+3+5+0+0+4)
14. Drew 14.5 (0+5.5+0+0+1+8+0+0+0+0)
15. Ro 15.5 (2+6.5+0+0+2+0+0+0+0+5)
16. Celt 12 (0+0+0+0+4.5+0+0+0+7.5+0)
17. DGS 10 (0+0+0+0+0+1+0+6+0+3)
18. Easy 9.5 (0+4+0+0+5+0.5+0+0+0+0)
19. David Ravish 7 (0+0+0+0+0+0+0+7+0+0)
20. Doc 6.5 (0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+6.5)
21. Omega 5 (0+5+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0)
22. Storm 4.5 (0+2+0.5+0+0+0+0+0+2+0)
23. Slegna 4.5 (0+0+0+0+4.5+0+0+0+0+0)
24. Butters 4 (4+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0)
25. Cactus Sam 4 (0+0+0+0+4+0+0+0+0+0)
26. Levi 4 (0+0+0+0+4+0+0+0+0+0)
27. X 3 (0+0+0+0+3+0+0+0+0+0)
28. Apostasy 2 (0+2+0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0)

So without further delays here is the first debate topic:

FMW has been dropping in numbers of late, should we continue our current efforts by engaging new people with high quality writing, or outwardly look for new writers?

Please detail your answer with examples of your point and possible solutions.

Last edited by Leon Caprice on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:51 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bobino

Rep : 4

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Butters
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm not entirely sure why the two have to be separate.

I think the best plan of action is to keep our high quality up, while looking for new writers. The high quality hows, along with an increase in our turnaround time will encourage those new recruits to stay, and become the future good writers we crave.

The biggest improvement will be on our turnaround time, as a the sooner we can book new writers, the sooner they become hooked to our sweet, sweet drug of a company.
Back to top Go down
Lazyking

Rep : 0

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:28 pm

FMW (And LPW) Are niche feds really in the efed community. We should continue to strive to be different here. I'm in two different feds, besides this one and the other one I mentioned. The two other feds focus more on match relevancy to get over and its like in 90% of the efeds I know of elsewhere.

If you bring up story feds at places like Roughkut, you get the "It's not efedding anymore" Complaint. I just don't think the extra headaches are worth trying to get other writers to convert their style to ours.

With all that said, I do like those type of Efeds and their sense of community for two reasons. One, In most of the better efeds, people have websites of the fed. It's all fancy and nice looking. Very appealing and a recruitment tool for sure. Just forums don't cut it in those type of feds.

Two, The efed community in those other efeds is VAST! Here in FMW, it feels so closed off. Whereas, in the other feds, people are having interfed tournments, more effedders meet each other and more people are known across more feds then ever.

My overall point is this: Do you want to risk growing pains of branching out and trying to find writers to conform to our style, but get an easy influx of new people? Or do you want to stay isolated and struggle to gain a member here or there, but keep the overall quality of the fed high?
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Hannibal Frost
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Obviously, we need to actively reach out to new writers through our high quality writing.

I'm not sure of how many people on here actually get out and vote on the E-fed lists that FMW is a part of, but that is a crucial first step. I've perused those lists before, and they've always been my way of searching for new efeds to join. I don't go looking for new ones anymore, but I do occasionally vote for FMW on them. If we could manage to be on the first page, somewhere in the top twenty, of one of those lists... that'd automatically do wonders for recruitment.

I do concur that FMW feels very closed off to the general public, though. But of course, that's going to happen as our promo styles are vastly different from every other efed out there.

The above point is why I thought NEW was such a grand idea. Its such a blast getting into the groove of this writing style while competing for a spot on the main roster. If only we had the staffing to manage another NEW, in the exact form of the old model, it'd be a perfect tool for recruitment. Add in a draft aspect every month or so for selecting a handful of writers from the NEW pool and it'd be cool as hell.

But, with the lack of new members, it'd take too long to get off the ground while simultaneously trying to keep the new folks around long enough for it to get started.

The MAIN PROBLEM we seem to have is interaction and participation from the new sign ups. If all our sign ups from just the past two months would've stuck around, we'd have a vastly larger roster.

With that in mind, there is really NOTHING for a new sign up to do until the shows are over. And with our turnaround being two weeks to a month... that's a long time for nothing to happen. The sign ups really only have a two to three day period between shows to actually have a chance to get on the card before they have to wait a month to be considered. And with that, we hardly EVER have people sign up in that small window. Now, I'm not suggesting we lengthen the time between a show being posted and the next VP thread, but we need to give the sign ups something to do while they're waiting.

I suggest something like NEW, but on a much smaller scale.

I suggest we have some type of small show that we label a House Show, or a Superstars/Sunday Night Heat of sorts. It can take place, OOC, every week or two for the new sign ups who haven't been booked on Amm or Corr. The wrestlers can compete for the right to choose which brand they join, and on special occasions, can get a shot at the Television title once they get booked on a main show. On other special occasions, they can compete for an FMP or two in order to get them familiar with that system right off the bat.

This small show can just feature two or three matches, depending on how many new people we have, and have actual results, just on a much shorter scale. Three raters and two or three staff members can volunteer at random for each show, and everyone can vote on the matches.

It wouldn't have a roster. The writers would immediately be moved to the main roster once a new show goes up and there's room to be booked on it. Which means the VP time would be two or three days and the results turnaround would be about the same.

I wouldn't be averse to personally getting this off the ground at first. There doesn't have to be a HW or anything, but I'd be willing to be the constant poster and proof reader of the shows as well as a rater and match writer. And as different people get more time, others can stop in to do the heavy lifting.

We don't have to use this idea at all, but something needs to be done to keep new sign ups from growing bored and leaving.

Once again, THAT is our main problem. If we could keep them around, then numbers would start to add up.
Back to top Go down
Anwyl

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: "The Future" Anwyl
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:19 pm

(btw I am currently on my iPhone)

As currently being in the signup stages for FMW it is so long and teadious trying to post an RP, the concept of NEW was excellent back when I signed up on the old site, Slegna and other watched over me and I built up basic writing skills, they were trying to maintain the high quality that we at FMW pride ourselves on, but at the moment you signup and almost feel forgotten, I am here to stay because no other e-wrestling website is as good as FMW in my opinion. But others, are being put off by the fact that we are forgotten, even if we had a thread where "unsigned talents" could TT about how good they are until we are put into the main roster, it wouldn't have to be NEW but take the same principles of NEW and develop it into something smaller. It would boost the new signup active because now they don't have an excuse to leave!!

The main reason I am here and many others before and after me is that I love the fact that here at FMW you pride yourself on extensive match writing that go down to the finer detail. Many e-feds that I have been a part of match consist of simply of Wrestler X controls wrestler y for most of the match before wrestler y builds momentum and pulls off their finish move. I hate that, that's not e-fedding, FMW needs to maintain it's high quality of writing which captures the reader, the detail and quality that we write with needs to maintain for the indivduality and personality of FMW, because if we lose that quality, that depth we have, where will FMW stand amongst the e-fedding community?![b]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/jacob.anwyl
Alex O'Rion

Alex O'Rion

Rep : 3

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Alex O'Rion
Championship: FMW World Tag Team Champion

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 8:49 pm

The following is a Paid Advertisement for the Alex O’Rion Debate King Foundation

Ladies and Gentlemen a question has been posed to us, a question that has plagued every venture since the dawn of time. Quality vs Quantity. Should we continue to strive simply to put out the best shows available to use and hope people flock to it’s genius? Or do we go out and begin a campaign to bring people to use.

My friends some would have you believe that this is one and the same, and to that I say nah. Yes it is true that we could continue to strive towards being better and search, but frankly that would not solve the problem. The real problem facing FMW is not a lack of numbers, its stagnation. When Full Metal Wrestling was at its peak the ideas we had coming out were fresh and new. The reason this was that we had an influx of ideas from a variety of people.

The biggest threat we have right now is that we have fewer members, fewer staff, and many less people inputting ideas into the system. It’s going to mean less ideas coming out new, which in turn is going to affect the quality of the shows and turn more people away from our little slice of heaven.

The solution is simple, we need new blood.

We need to once again actively campaign the e-fedding community, putting our name and what we are about out there to get people interested. We need to bring them in and keep them here with our quality, but first we need to get them through the door, which means campaigning.

I’ve worked on a few of these before so the first step would be a committee of people dedicated to canvassing and coming up with other ideas for getting members. I’d be happy to work on this and use my background in public relations for it. We get our wiki up to date and keep it that way with more than one or two people working on it. We get our name back up on the e-fed lists and convince members to click if they want to help FMW improve. And more importantly we offer incentives so that these things CONTINUE TO HAPPEN when the initial thrill wears out.

Secondly as I mentioned earlier, once they are in the door we need to keep them. Which is why I would also recommend the re-resurection of NEW. I know we’ve done this enough times and failed, but frankly we’ve also done it enough times to know why it failed. It will be nothing fancy, at all, a simple weekly show run with a three day promo period, two day voting, and two days for the show to go up. All run by one person (I’d offer my services if no one else wants it, or help so that we have a back-up) and an assistant who is only there to step in should the other person be out of contact when the show needs to go up. It would be quick, dirty, and there to give the new people something to do until they could be booked. No-shows would not be punished with explanation due to the frequent nature of the show, but it would give everyone something to do without the pressure to show up each week while they wait.

Finally, we need to eliminate the elitist attitude here in FMW. I know we don’t like to see ourselves that way, and some like Ben (TBM) really are not, but I have seen far too many rookies come in and get run out right away by veterans in the trash talking thread. We need to make FMW a place where EVERYONE feels welcome regardless of writing ability. People always improve we need to be willing to help and give them the chance. This isn’t a big thing, but something we would all need to be conscious of.

If we did all that we would almost assuredly see a new influx of people, which would lead to new ideas and our shows once again being all they can be. Maybe it’s not perfect, but it would give this fed exactly what it needs.

Ideas.

Thank you.

The preceding was a Paid Advertisement for the Alex O’Rion Debate King Foundation
Back to top Go down
Anwyl

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:06 am

You pose some good points Mr. Rion and I agree with most of what you said but...

Quote :
The solution is simple, we need new blood.

Defiantly YES!! the solutions are simple, but the roads to success are going take various steps, and I do not believe that starts with adverting! You explain that we need to campaign, you have labeled is stupid advertising through the eWrestling wikia page etc. but someone is going to skim through surfing the net and think "ummmm duh ful metel restlin or dat otha wrsetling page idk". We need to work on what surrounds us at the moment, and that is building up at a ground level, the writing is of high quality up the in the high ranks (obviously that's why they are there) but we need to work on getting new sign-up's to start posting and get active amongst the board.

That leads me to my next point, your idea of restarting a New Era Wrestling style division is spot on, we definitely need something to keep new sign-up's occupied for the few days (or weeks) outside one of the current divisions. I mean seriously, I have been waiting to do something on this board for almost two weeks now, and well many of times through out the last few day I have though "hmmm maybe they don't want me here" and almost went to leave, an impatient person is not going to hang around waiting for FMW. They are simply going to no show and move to the next wrestling website that gets them hard.

In short I believe, and like many others that will agree with me is that we need to build from the ground up. Full Metal Wrestling needs to start with helping new e-fedders to develop their writing skills, post more regularly and get them RP-ing, making FMW fun at a ground level which will (hopefully) lead to captivating, engaging and inspiring rookies to get better with the high quality writing already seen at Full Metal Wrestling.

I am J.L Anwyl and that is what I believe. BITCH cheers
Back to top Go down
Alex O'Rion

Alex O'Rion

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 am

So where are these new sign ups going to come from?

I have a background in advertising and public relations and find your simple dismissal of proven and realistic means to get our name out there a little insulting. You say we need to get the new start ups to stay active by agreeing with my idea, bash my idea of how to get new start ups, and refuse to give any of your own.

Also I never stated advertising, as advertising is where you spend money to make money.

I was suggesting a ground roots approach where we approach other e-feds to do link sharing, where we talk to people one on one about our fed and why they could enjoy it, suggesting that we put our name out there.

Yes 95% of the people who see it will ignore the logo, the name, but 5% will not. And if we are good with repetition more will take notice of it as they see it a second, third, or fourth time.

I'm glad you like my ideas but if you are going to try and dissect what is essentially the key to the whole plan, getting people in the door so we CAN keep them, I'd like to you're suggestions on what we can do.
Back to top Go down
Rottata

Rottata

Rep : 8

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Tiberius Jefferson / Romeo
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:49 am

All right, I'm not out here to win the debate, I'd just like to speak out on NEW.

First of all, a lot of hate has been given to NEW by some of our esteemed luminaries, but personally I don't understand why it deserves such hate. A developmental fed is not a bad idea at all, especially if it successfully cultivates a new generation of competitors and above all, keeps the forum busy.

That said, though, it should be stressed that while I would be amenable to NEW returning for the nth time, we just don't have enough manpower to run even a small NEW operation, both staff-side and roster-side. Times are tough right now, and part of the reason we have receded back to two shows is that staff has been stretched too thin, and now we kind of have a healthy amount of people for just these two shows. Not to mention that if the rookies don't get booked on the main cards, the cards will be very low on matches.

It just can't happen until we break this cycle by ramping up recruitment, activity, and speed. Then we need to increase the staff size.

We're kind of trapped in a corner here.
Back to top Go down
http://romoran.wordpress.com
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Rep : 15

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Christian G. Smitten
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 5:26 am

One thing I've found as a major deterrent is the mindset that has been developed in FMW that Length means Quality. Don't deny it, it has happened, and there's no use arguing about it.

We have had an extremely strong sign-up rate through December, and a large number of those who signed up, actually, all of them I think, are being given matches at Ammunition and Corruption 12.3. For the most part, they'll be squaring off against other new comers, so the intimidation factor is quite low. However. They will look up the card, and read some other promos. They'll look at the promos of the established superstars, the champions that are in action and go "wow... that's a lot of work".

Taking a stab in the dark here, but the average promo length the main eventers put out, in Microsoft Word, at Times New Roman Size 12, is about 15 pages. About 5-7 pages too long in my eyes. It's fucking hard work to write that much. I know, I've tried, and I can not do it. I peak at 10 or 11 tops, if that.

The promos being at such a high length not only makes it hard for people to get excited about participating, because they'll start writing long promos with no substance, get low promo scores for lengthy promos, and leave. I'm not proposing a cap on promo length, more a raising of awareness of where they're at. It's something I feel that our sister fed, LPW, does a whole lot better than we do. They have a good length, which makes it possible to sit down and ready 7 or 8 in a sitting. For some of the promos we produce (ESSPECIALLY at Pay-Per-Views and ESSPECIALLY for Championship matches), I can barely get through one in a sitting. And by the end of it, my concentration is wavering.

So for new comers (and returning superstars), this weighs a lot on the minds. I think it's a bit of a reason why we've had a decline in people lately. People look at FMW and go "Well, I'll lose that, it's just getting too hard to make my match competitive". I'm hoping that reverting to a 5.0 scale will go some way to fixing this. Because I believe some of the onus falls on the promo raters there. Something I've told the staff at LPW a couple of times is "It's a 5.0 scale, use the full scale". We sometimes forget that we're not looking for the next Hemmingway, we're looking for a promo which is readable and enjoyable. It's not professional work we're putting up here, so we shouldn't be grading it as a professional work. Sure, some people have come through here with aspirations to write profesisonally, and that's great for them. There's nothing wrong with that, but for the bulk of us, this is a social and relaxing thing, so we shouldn't make it feel like it's a second/third job.

The quality of our writing is a noble and highly attractive part of our fed, but if we as a collective unit, lower our standards, and shorten our lengths to make them more readable, I think we'll find we keep more of our rookies more often. An increase in show speed will also help, and to do this, we would like a larger staff. Perhaps when the staff gets large enough, we may be able to re-start NEW. That's a bit of a dream at the moment though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/trombonerman
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 7:12 am

Obviously, TBM, I'm going to argue your point on length.

I do understand where you are coming from. Yes, some people's promos do look a bit daunting. But, you can't ask that everyone actively try to write shorter promos.

As for me, personally, I don't actively try for quantity. I simply write and the natural flow of my story dictates page length. I've hit as low as nine pages before, but I've gone as high as twenty six.

I can't speak for everyone, but if I actively tried to shorten my promos it'd take away a lot of my writing style. When setting a scene, or when I'm not trying to quicken the reader's pace subconsciously, I'm using a lot of description. I also like to hit those inner monologues and inner thoughts frequently. Here lately, my promos have consisted of really only two to three different settings, with two or three different main plot points. Should be a short promo, but my writing style dictates that it be longer.

So, even though you have something in theory, lowering quantity inadvertently lowers quality in this case. Or, at least, in my case.
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 9:24 am

Hannibal Frost wrote:
Obviously, TBM, I'm going to argue your point on length.

I do understand where you are coming from. Yes, some people's promos do look a bit daunting. But, you can't ask that everyone actively try to write shorter promos.

As for me, personally, I don't actively try for quantity. I simply write and the natural flow of my story dictates page length. I've hit as low as nine pages before, but I've gone as high as twenty six.

I can't speak for everyone, but if I actively tried to shorten my promos it'd take away a lot of my writing style. When setting a scene, or when I'm not trying to quicken the reader's pace subconsciously, I'm using a lot of description. I also like to hit those inner monologues and inner thoughts frequently. Here lately, my promos have consisted of really only two to three different settings, with two or three different main plot points. Should be a short promo, but my writing style dictates that it be longer.

So, even though you have something in theory, lowering quantity inadvertently lowers quality in this case. Or, at least, in my case.

I've learned the hard way to not argue on forums while drinking. So when I'm sober, I'll totally get back to you.
Back to top Go down
Anwyl

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 10:07 am

Quote :
I've learned the hard way to not argue on forums while drinking. So when I'm sober, I'll totally get back to you.

OOC: Amen to that!!

IC: FUCK!! THIS!!
Back to top Go down
MPD

MPD

Rep : -18

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 am

Full Metal Wrestling is like the Nintendo Wii.

Hear me out with this one;

Ok, there's two different feds to my knowledge that operate under our system, so to speak.

Their are twenty million feds that use simpler, more user friendly systems.

My arguement is everyone who wants to take part in our way of e-fedding is probably already doing it here, at LPW, or some other fed that I don't know about. I'm arguing, that like the Nintendo Wii, we are at saturation point.

Of course, there is always going to be someone new; but you need to first, find them, and secondly, convince them to stay.

With point one; that's more work to do for a struggling staff base.
With point two; FMW is an intimidating place. Be it lengths of promo, particularly verbose verbal assaults on our newbies (looking at you RCA ;3) and etc etc etc. If you set up a sheltered zone for them to begin, say, NEW mark twenty seven, you stretch the staff too thin and risk people leaving once they get to play with the grown ups. Without a NEW of some sorts, you risk mixing potentially fragile people getting scared off by the Chris Austin's of the fed, (you know ilu buddy,) or by the wait inbetween shows, etc, etc.

The only solution that I can personally come to is this;

Don't worry about it; keep the product at the quality it is for those of us who are still here, or who come back. If people stumble across us and stay, that's great. But at this particular point in time, I'd make it a number one concern to maintain what we have for who we have.

Because; if we do go on a big Squid hunting trip and bring in a bunch of new blood, the shit array that currently is FMW may not keep them sucked in.

IN REVIEW; condense FMW till we have as many people booked as possible, with a decent turn over time, with the calibur of writing we expect.

Once this is done, worry about bulking out the roster.

Otherwise we'll be waiting best part of a month for a show drowning in pools of drool and ink from the Squids/Children who watch wrestling in this day and age while they wonder why they can't be John Cena37.

Or, to return back to my Nintendo Wii metaphor;

First, we must make the limited addition RED Nintendo Wii before we can get our hands on anymore cashmoneydollars.
Back to top Go down
Lazyking

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:03 pm

I agree with hanny and TBM in terms of length. For someone who loves to write, I love having the freedom to do whatever, but at the same time, I know my limitations. I'm never gonna be a novelist, I don't have a way with words or anything like that. What I do here and in LPW is have FUN! If I no longer had fun, I'd stop doing it.

I wrote 3900 words for my Last LPW promo, the most I've ever written in a sanctioned match. My promos are rather simple and I don't really think about, oh this is too long! Must shorten! I just write. I think what hurts me in my promos is I don't plan stuff out. I get inspiration to write and I do it. That's why my promos are usaually right against dead line.

With FMW, It was daunting at first, reading the 5000 even 10,000 word epics and being like "holy shit, I can't do that." At the same time, I don't care that much about winning. There has never been a time where I say fuck, I got screwed, probably cause I'm not any good lol..

I think what I'm trying to say is, the one thing I dislike about FMW, is it seems like way more than just a hobby that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and more like a job at times.
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 3:01 pm

I know seeing how I'm deciding this that this post means nothing. But I personally write not to win or to technically write a story, but to vent my stresses of RL and issues into words. Now whether I'm writing when I'm happy or going through tough times it changes my LENGTH>

Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Vincent Van Rose

Rep : 2

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Vincent Van Rose
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 7:36 pm

I think that this fed like many I have seen and been in has cycles of growth and attrition nd right now it seems as though this cycle is a thinning of the herd so to speak. I think we should not sacrifice quality for quantity by any means. If new folks come and are active that is wonderful, if not well we are doing ok I think without it. Holding intrest of vets and new comers alike is key and speed on the turnaround will do that. I think the core of writers currently doing the job gets overwhelmed sometimes, and adding a few volunteers to lighten the load may help. Amazingly the quality of writing barely blinks though and each show remains high quality compared to other feds I have been in with many writers and contributors. There are my feelings in a nutshell, hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:06 am

OFFICIAL DECISION:

Seeing how this debate is more repeating itself than actually creating new ideas I have decided upon a winner.

The 1st Debate goes to HANNIBAL FROST. A strong mention to Alex for his participation, but in a nutshell it seems more or less the same as Frost but with more words and more detail, but Frost brought those point to ahead so he should claim the glory.

Last edited by Leon Caprice on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

Tromboner Man wrote:

Frost, I promised to get back to you and I am.

Take the extremes of our promos. Your promos and mine.

You've hit as low as 9 pages. I've hit as low as 5 Pages.

You've hit as high as 26 pages. I've hit as high as 14.

I think it's fair to say that you're seen as main event, while once upon a time, I was the FMW Champion. I'm not on the main event level any more. But allow me to paint you a word picture.

I was contemplating coming back for a long time, However, with the trend for long ass promos becoming more and more prominant, it was a big argument in the against column for me. This is coming from a guy who loves FMW, thinks it's a fantastic and innovative fed. But I was almost willing to throw away a return to active competition because I felt like for me to be competitive, I needed to write promos which hit the 20 page length regularly. If this happened to a veteran, a former Gold Card Champion, and former FMW Champion, think of how much this will deter people who have had no history or emotional ties to the fed.

I'm a stiffler on length when I'm promo rating. If it starts getting too long, it starts loosing points. They're essentially short stories, yet at times, I feel like when I'm reading a promo, it's almost like I'm reading a large chunk of a book. And many people often forget while writing their promos, that it's a promo. The barest essentials for a promo are

"Who You Are"
"Why you are better than your opponent"
"Why you deserve to win"

More commonly known as Match Relevance. And I know I'm getting a bit off track here, but I've started, I'll finish. We write promos. Role Plays. Whatever you call it, it's the same thing. I've felt lately (by lately, I mean the last 18-24 months) that people are willing to ignore an absence of match relevance and still call a promo "brilliant" if it's got length.
Back to top Go down
RCA
Full Metal Champion
Full Metal Champion

Rep : 6

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Chris Austin
Championship: FMW C-4 Champion, FMW World Tag Team Champion

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 12:59 am

^Give him the FMP.
Back to top Go down
Slegna
Pokeleague Master
Pokeleague Master
Slegna

Rep : 11

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:14 am

Leon Caprice wrote:
OFFICIAL DECISION:

Seeing how this debate is more repeating itself than actually creating new ideas I have decided upon a winner.

The 1st Debate goes to HANNIBAL FROST. A strong mention to Alex for his participation, but in a nutshell it seems more or less the same as Frost but with more words and more detail, but Frost brought those point to ahead so he should claim the glory.

Frost, its your turn now to decide the next debate question.

This method doesn't really work. Since Hannibal will be deciding the question (and by extension, the winner of the debate on said question), he can't really participate this round. The way Jaro ran the debate was by grading each individual's arguments and how well they defended their arguments on a score from 1-10. By starting and running Debate Cinco, you should be the head of ceremonies and decide all debate questions while judging each person's arguments.
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:41 am

Ok, well as long as people believe I am unbiased in my decisions.

Well if I get further confirmation of this, i'll continue this for all 10 topics.
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:01 am

That's exactly what Jaro did to run it. And he only ran it for 7 topics, one for every day of the week. I believe you can be unbiased with your decisions.
Back to top Go down
Leon Caprice

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:21 am

Cool, all changed then and here is the 2nd Question then.

With a large amount of titles now in FMW, how often should we have title matches and to what degree should we increase/decrease the level of hunger for titles in FMW.
Back to top Go down
Alex O'Rion

Alex O'Rion

Wrestler Profile

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:12 am

OOC: Wait, so the only chance anyone has to win is to be first with their ideas, because if you have the same premise as someone earlier, even if more in depth it doesn't matter cause they were first?

That isn't a debate, it's a race.

Not saying Hanny didn't deserve to win his argument was well thought out and quite probably better than mine, but what's the point of making this a debate if arguing what you believe is the correct answer means you lose because you didn't log on first?

I apologize if I'm wrong, just the way you worded makes it seem like no matter what effort you put in, you're not first you lose.
Back to top Go down
Hannibal Frost

Hannibal Frost

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:15 am

OOC: I do believe Leon said I brought the points to a head better. And I'm REALLY good at anything involving head.
Back to top Go down
Abel Steele
Head Writer
Head Writer
Abel Steele

Rep : 14

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Abel Steele
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:21 am

errrrrrrrrrrrrr........... no homo?
Back to top Go down
Tromboner Man
FMW C-4 Champion
FMW C-4 Champion
Tromboner Man

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 8:40 am

Well... seeing as though I won my debate without ever winning a topic (Always 2nd or 3rd. It pays to be consistent), it seems like doing that is impossible this time, if we're not doing ratings.
Back to top Go down
The Dude

The Dude

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Trey Spruance
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Leon Caprice wrote:

With a large amount of titles now in FMW, how often should we have title matches and to what degree should we increase/decrease the level of hunger for titles in FMW.

We should have title matches as often as possible in order to try and maintain a sense that they are included but without somehow causing the titles to change hands too often, if that makes sense.

If there are too many titles they could possibly be unified?

The hunger for the titles should always be there so don't decrease it. It's one of the things that keeps me coming back because I never won one. If there wasn't that hunger than people wouldn't try as hard to compete.
Back to top Go down
Vincent Van Rose

Rep : 2

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Vincent Van Rose
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 3:00 pm

The Dude wrote:
Leon Caprice wrote:

We should have title matches as often as possible in order to try and maintain a sense that they are included but without somehow causing the titles to change hands too often, if that makes sense.

If there are too many titles they could possibly be unified?

The hunger for the titles should always be there so don't decrease it. It's one of the things that keeps me coming back because I never won one. If there wasn't that hunger than people wouldn't try as hard to compete.

I tend to disagree in part with what the Dude is saying here. I think Title matches should be maybe once a cycle and at the major PPVs. If we throw the title out there, whatever title it is, it loses its importance and luster in my eyes. A title is a HUGE thing in efedding and I think a guy who wins one should be able to strut around with it awhile and not worry about who is gonna beat his ass immediately. I do agree that hunger for a title and or shot is always there...I have won multiple titles in my other efeds and I am dying for one here because it seems so much more valuable because we all work so much harder on promos and the like. In other feds I have been in Titles were handed out amongst friends and so forth so hunger wasn't a factor as much a it seems to be here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!   FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FMW Debate Cinco Start NOW!
Page 1 of 13Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next