Full Metal Wrestling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full Metal Wrestling

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comics Thread

Go down 
+7
Drew Michaels
Alex O'Rion
Rottata
The Celt
Vincent Van Rose
Damien
Jet
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Vincent Van Rose

Rep : 2

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Vincent Van Rose
Championship:

Comics Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Damien Inferno wrote:
From what I've heard, Ryan Reynolds is set to play Green Lantern in 2011. Any comments?

Also set to play deadpool in a stand alone deadpool movie -- I am all for Ryan and GL he sounds fully committed to the role.
Back to top Go down
PX

PX

Rep : 4

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: PX
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm

/\ He's also Green Arrow, but not Green Hornet as Celt keeps telling me.

Haven't read much comics these days, more of an manga person myself. Last comic book I read was The Killing Joke, an absloute gem. Currently between stories at the moment, I'll probably read Full Metal Alchemist next, or watch Samurai Jack again; was my favourite show as a child, I thought it was epic then, should be fun to watch again.
Back to top Go down
Drew Michaels
FMW President
FMW President

Rep : 14

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Drew Michaels
Championship: C-4 Championship

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 pm

The Celt wrote:
DMZ looks very cool, I like the premise a lot. If someone says go for it I might jump. Same with Transmetropolitan.

I think you would really like DMZ Celt, I've only read the first two collections so far but it is really good and seems more up your alley than Transmetropolitan. That being said, I personally believe Transmetropolitan is one of if not the best works I have reads in comics. Of course, I am also a HUGE Preacher fan and you already said that was not up your alley so take that for what you will. The writing in Transmetropolitan is just so well done and the characters really develop well, you would be really missing out by not checking it out at least. DMZ is pushed heavily by the story and the scary part really is how real it is and how just a series of small events could set off what is happening in that story. It is more based in the idea of justice I think and that plus the realism seem like they would be a good fit for you.

If you're looking for non-superhero stuff, I would also recommend Fables. It is another Vertigo title and is probably my favorite title currently running and in my top 3 of all time. The premise is all of the fairy tales we grew up loving in have been forced into our world and live in a society together. It may not sound that exciting off that but the story really picks up and is wonderful. It is one of the few series my fiancee will read as well and everyone I know who has read it swears by it.

Ex Machina is another good option which may look like a superhero book but is something completely different, I promise. The premise is an ex-superhero who uses his fame as a hero, particularly from 9/11, to become mayor of New York City and try to clean up the city. It is really well done and does deal a lot with justice and such. It is written by Brian Vaughan, the same guy who wrote Y: The Last Man.

Also, on the Ryan Reynolds talk, the man is a GOD of comic books and comic movies. He was Hannibal King in Blade, Deadpool in the Wolverine movie and in the upcoming sequel, and now is Hal motherfucking Jordan in Green Lantern. Plus he is married to Scarlett Johansson who was Rebecca in Ghost World, Silken Floss in The Spirit, and will be Black Widow in Iron Man 2.
Back to top Go down
Jet

Rep : 0

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

The Celt wrote:
Peter wrote:
In the grand scheme of things, I found Y to be something I was deeply enamored with while reading, but ultimately forgot about a week after finishing. Like most of Brian K's work, it just had absolutely no resonance for me aside from face value. To me, I find him to be somewhat lacking as a writer - there's just something to stop his ideas from really taking off. And anyway, most of his stuff gets shat on by similar series', We3 > Pride of Baghdad and as far as Y goes, as the 'cross country road trip with sci-fi undertones,' I would compare it dis-favorably to most of the other stuff Vertigo puts out.

I don't know, Y got me from #1 to it's final issue which isn't a bad job. To be honest it's start was better than it's finish (in fact I'd go so far as to said I'd have done a different ending had I wrote it) but I think the general writing was good. I mean, there were definite moments in it where I was really into it, and also moments that made me think. It's funny, in life I support women's right, but in Y I definitely found myself calling out "bitch" at the some of the villians alot Smile I mean I hated the Amazons and Alter, the head of the Israeli army, but in the good, effective heel way.

I think maybe when the story left America it started losing it's strength. I think I preferred the world is fucked vibe that America had in Y to the countries like Japan where things were pretty much fine.

Anyways, now that I'm done with Y, anyone want to suggest a comic to me? Something non-superhero-ish, and not Preacher, A History of Violence or 100 bullets (checked them out but I don't think they're for me). American Virgin I'm tempted to read, haven't decided yet. NYX I've had on my mind for a while, certainly X-23 in that looks good, but I'm not sold on the other characters in it. Not Runaways either. Something on law or anti-law might peak my interest (I'm so transparent on that), but not a detective thing or anything CSI-like (CSI ruined the entire crime drama mainstream genre...how that took off against The Wire is a mystery).

DMZ looks very cool, I like the premise a lot. If someone says go for it I might jump. Same with Transmetropolitan.

You may be done with stuff like CSI, but I am still going to recommend Gotham Central. Probably one of the greatest DC series' of all time, dealing with Gordon's Major Crimes Unit and their attempts to work in Gotham City. Fantastic cast, great writing and it distances itself from the supernatural elements of superhero comics. Its realism at its finest.

I'll also recommend Transmetropolitan, great series.

I know you said "No Superheroes", but Starman needs a mention.

If you're into fantasy, you can't look past Sandman, or its related series Lucifer.

You should also check out Hellblazer, some of the early stuff, or the 'All His Engines' trade. And on top of that, you'd do well to read Flex Mentallo; which is really an acid detective comic.

Miracleman, if you're looking for some really epic deconstruction.

DMZ, I quite enjoyed when I kept up with it. It really does carry an air of pretension around it that I think is present in all of Brian Wood's work. Having said that, I loved Demo.

NYX. Shit. Quesada is a faggot. 100 Bullets. Shit, but I can see why people like it. X-23. Shit. Runaways. Eh, then shit.

PX wrote:
Haven't read much comics these days, more of an manga person myself.

You're cancerous. Read some comic books and get back on side.
Back to top Go down
Dano

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Mick O'Connell
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 am

The Walking Dead anyone? Really enjoyed it when I got volumes 1-4 from my friend, I'd recommend it to anyone. I've dabbled in comics, ready some of the big mainstream arcs Secret Invasion, World War Hulk, Planet Hulk, some Batman Arcs, Dark Knight Returns, some Joker arcs.

Enjoyed Y but wasn't really sold on the ending.
Back to top Go down
Drew Michaels
FMW President
FMW President

Rep : 14

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Drew Michaels
Championship: C-4 Championship

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:43 am

Syanide wrote:
The Walking Dead anyone?

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, that Robert Kirkman writes is gold. Walking Dead, Invincible, Brit, The Astounding Wolf-Man, Battle Pope; all of it.
Back to top Go down
The Celt

The Celt

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Celtykins
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 am

This has to be said: This is a really fun thread Smile

Fables: I read the outline of Wikipedia. Seems ok, might get round to it some time.

Ex Machine seems odd. I'm not really sure how the premise sets up steady plot to be honest.

Now Gotham Central? That sounds like a fucking AWESOME premise. I'm definitely going to check it out. If it's gritty enough it could really be someone. The idea of being a cop in a City full of whack-jobs is great, where so much of your work is going to fringe against enemies you really don't have the power to stop. And Gotham is such a great setting, being the merger of New York and Chicago makes it so dark and dangerous. I also like the concept of the comic being split into two sections: The day shift and the night shift, each with their own writer, which I imagine gives them each their own special vibe

By the way does anyone know what District X is? I've wiki'd it and it looked alright, but it's seems the series didn't run that long and the concept wasn't really pushed too hard. I mean the premise is pretty solid, the idea of a mutant ghetto is pretty smart if you ask me. And Bishop is the prefect dude to run that shit. But it looks like it didn't make it too far. Shame.

Now, X-23. Why you hatin' Peter? For me X-23 is a class character. I mean for me she's one of the most believable comic characters I know. So many characters have back story that effect them at first only to be pretty much dropped later down the road. With Laura her past absolutely defines her. She was basically abused as a child, so now she's pretty much numb to everyone around her. And the cool thing is that's never forgotten. I think the writers that use her all really get her demeanour right. I mean, with female characters a lot of the time the male audience wants that character to have traits that make that female character amiable and right for love. X-23 isn't like that at all really. I seriously doubt alot of her fans think "I'd hit that", you couldn't, the girl is damaged goods. I mean that in a "there's just too many issues" kind of way. She's like this cold, hard, tough character, but you do feel sympathy for her because it's not her fault, it's the people who fucked her over's fault. Actually I definitely think X-23 is a character alot of girls can believe in, certainly some segments of the female audience, because X-23's origin could so easily have been a broken home or something, and I think it's great that girls from tough backgrounds can have a character they can relate to. I genuinely believe there are girls out there who feel disconnected with the world, and just don't what to be society's idea of what a "normal" girl is. I think that almost marked whenever you see X-23 out of her costume. Like her normal attire is something like a leather jacket and jeans. In a way that says: "Hey, I'm not a goth, I'm not a emo...I'm just not the fucking sunshine of this world, ok?"

And to me, that makes for a good, solid character. She is the broken home girl.

Back to top Go down
Rottata

Rottata

Rep : 8

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Tiberius Jefferson / Romeo
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Headbanger wrote:
Plus he is married to Scarlett Johansson

He gets to tap Scarlett Johansson? Why do I not know this?
Back to top Go down
http://romoran.wordpress.com
Jet

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar:
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 am

God dammit, keep your post count whoring out of this Mecca-esque thread.

I do not like X-23 as I do not see her purpose as a character. She seems almost a pastiche of 'grim and gritty' and just feels like the remnants of the 90's. She continues Marvel's tradition of raping female characters as a means of giving them depth.

Read me some Batman and Robin today; my love of Morrison has hit its zenith.
Back to top Go down
PX

PX

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

Lots of Rumours flying around that Robert Buckley has been cast as Captain America for the movie. The website that reported it has taken it down since.
This guy:
Comics Thread - Page 2 Headline15605
Back to top Go down
Vincent Van Rose

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 12:51 pm

I thought I would post this tidbit I found on Comicbookmovie.com as it is both Comic and wrestling related:

Well, Conan news just keeps getting better! Apparently WWE's Shad Gaspard(Part of the tag team Cryme Tyme) is looking like a good possibility to be cast as main villain Ukafa..
Shad Gaspard revealed on his MySpace blog that he auditioned for the role of Ukafa (the main villain) in the remake of Conan the Barbarian At the time he was convinced that he did a good job, but was worried about all the other "Hollywood heavy hitters" that were also being looked at.

Gaspard has now updated his blog again, this time stating that he has passed the first part of casting and that the role is now down to him and only a few other actors. Gaspard is 29-years-old, 6'7 feet tall and weighs 285 lbs. Sounds like a great fit physically, but there is the whole not actually an actor thing to consider. Between this and the casting of Jason Momoa as Conan I think director Markus Nispel would want to have a few tricks up his sleeve to appease the fanboys..and he would want to reveal those tricks pretty soon if he wants anyone to keep interest going.

Check out this casting call for Ukafa: He's in his 30s-40, very dark-skinned African or African American, massively framed at six-foot-five, gold-toothed, hardened by a lifetime of war, a leader of Kushite Tribemen from the savannahs of Kush. Ukafa is Khalar Singh's second in command, jealous that Singh's son, Fariq, will one day be warlord. He obeys his leader but plots the overthrow of his son. He is a mighty warrior and unbeatable in battle until he comes face to face with Conan.

Gold teeth? Is this a gansta rap Conan? Will he be sporting pimp hat and hoe's too?

I found this interesting as I used to like the Conan comic and Arnold's efforts in the movies also. I also read at some point HHH and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson were up for the role of Conan, but it looks as though it was given to some other guy.
Back to top Go down
PX

PX

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Comingsoon.net is reporting that Hugo Weaving (The Lord of the Rings) is reportedly in talks for Captain America. He is negotiating to play the role of the main villain, Red Skull. Marvel is currently looking to cast Steve Rogers/Captain America, with the film expected to hit the big screen on July 22nd, 2011.

Epic, i think it could be
Back to top Go down
Omega

Omega

Rep : -122

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Seth Omega
Championship: Abandoned Championship

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Speaking of epic, IM2 came out with another trailer the other night. I saw it on the boob tube while watching ESPN, needless to say it was longer and showed more kick ass. If this is anything like the first one I might be the nerd you see standing outside the movie theatre at midnight.

Also, the mall in Nashville is doing an IMAX show at midnight so I might fork out the money to check that out.
Back to top Go down
Vincent Van Rose

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 pm

PX wrote:
Comingsoon.net is reporting that Hugo Weaving (The Lord of the Rings) is reportedly in talks for Captain America. He is negotiating to play the role of the main villain, Red Skull. Marvel is currently looking to cast Steve Rogers/Captain America, with the film expected to hit the big screen on July 22nd, 2011.

Epic, i think it could be

If they get a good Cap, Weaving as the Skull would be killer! I am voting for Jensen Ackles as Cap. The more I hear about this guy the cooler I think it would be.
Back to top Go down
Omega

Omega

Rep : -122

Wrestler Profile
FMW Superstar: Seth Omega
Championship: Abandoned Championship

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:15 pm

I don't think Ackles is cut enough to play Captain America.

No homo.

But I think the best choice would be someone who could fit the requirements of Captain America, you have to remember this guy was a soldier and most soldiers I know are pretty built.

Then again anything is possible I guess.
Back to top Go down
Vincent Van Rose

Wrestler Profile
Championship:

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:22 pm

stl311 wrote:
I don't think Ackles is cut enough to play Captain America.

No homo.

But I think the best choice would be someone who could fit the requirements of Captain America, you have to remember this guy was a soldier and most soldiers I know are pretty built.

Then again anything is possible I guess.

The whole point of Captain America was that he was a 98 lb weakling until the Super Solider Serum made him the MAN. I think Ackles would be ok. I also think the guy from Vegas that was in Transforners would be good too. He played military in that movie fairly well Josh Dumel I think his name is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Comics Thread   Comics Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comics Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2